Sunday, January 2, 2011

Prose Poem

Most kids only like the summer because there is no school, or they get to be tan.  
I look forward to summer because it revives the dead sense of freedom, of belongingness, of love.  
In summer, I see all of those friends I never have time to see.  
The people I love to be with, but I never can be with. 
No matter where I am when I am with them, I feel at home.  
I love those long summer nights that do not end until you can not keep your eyes open.  
I love when you see those friends every day and you do not have to leave to do homework or go to bed early, you have all the time in the World.
I love going to your best friends house and being able to stay there for a week.
Whenever you get tired of anything or anyone, you can just drive away with your friends.
Blast loud music with the windows rolled down, because you can.
Nobody to stop you from living. 

Living the life you want, living your dream, living however the hell you want to live.
Staying up late enough to call it tomorrow.  
Bonfires late at night at last minute, because you know those friends will always be waiting to see you.
Sitting around the fire laughing and rolling around in the grass, fighting, falling on purpose and wrestling. 
I miss going to the pool with the original six, having fun and each time getting new inside jokes to laugh about the next day.
I love those days where you can look back and say to yourself, "What was I thinking?".
Having regrets, but getting over them because pretty soon, you will have more to worry about.
Each year that goes by I wish for the summer to begin again, so I can see those old friends, to feel at home again.
Because a year without summer, would mean a year without those friends, a year without fun, hope, memories, laughter.
A year without anything to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment